15 November 2012
The Power of One Simple Unexpected Act
Your personal brand is defined by what others say about you. Knowing that, it makes sense to create a leadership brand experience that is reflective of your personal brand standards and how you want to stand out.
Doing what is expected positions you to blend in. To stand out and create an experience that screams ‘high standards’ you need to be willing to do the unexpected.
Here are a few ideas of simple unexpected acts that can help you stand out for how you want to be known and make a difference in how others experience you as a leader:
- Express appreciation for a job well done
- Make an introduction that can be a benefit to someone you know
- Extend yourself to help in an unexpected way
- Greet everyone when you walk into a room, not just the people you know
- Look at people in the eyes when you greet them
- Ask colleagues or team members for a coffee and don't talk about work
- Learn something new and share it
- Pick up the phone to talk to someone instead of sending an email
- Help someone without being asked
- Arrange a face-to-face meeting instead of a phone conversation
- Be fully present when you are speaking with another person
- Take time to make a phone call you have been putting off
- Show up for your meetings early
Perform one simple unexpected act a day, everyday. Make it a habit and imagine the impact and shift you can create. It will change you and those around you. It is also an amazing way to be talked about in a good way and be remembered.
Love to hear what acts you are performing on a daily basis to make a difference in your life and the lives of others.
Align yourself with what matters most to you. Live your brand fully expressed with intention and purpose to play bigger!